Monday, June 25, 2012

A Hybrid Card Challenge

Happy Monday to all of you!!  It's Cheryl, your "Card Chick", with a hybrid card challenge for you this week.  With the 4th of July fast approaching, I thought I'd show you a card that I put together in time to send out for the holiday.  I recently fell in love with digital scrapbooking and that led me to hybrid scrapbooking and card making.  Hybrid is simply the combination of digital AND paper.  It can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make it.  Let me show you what I created.

As the holiday got closer, I realized that I didn't have any paper left over from last year.  I saw the Echo Park 4th of July digital collection, loved it and bought it online.  One of the things I REALLY love about buying digital supplies online is the "instant gratification".  You pay for it, download it and you're creating with it right away!!  Gotta love that!!

Using the 4th of July digital collection, I created this digital card in Photoshop.  Because my card is going to be a square card, I created it just as if I was creating a 12 x 12 layout.  (You don't have to limit yourself to a square card.  Just change the dimensions when you start a new document.)  We'll go into the printing particulars in a minute.  Here's a screenshot of the finished card that I created in Photoshop:


I don't want to get technical, but a lot of people don't realize that you can print out a square format on a standard printer.  How do you print out a square 5 x 5 card?  You set your printer to print out a 5 x 7 size print but wait before you click on "print", click on "shrink to fit".  Voila!  You have a 5 x 5 square print!  Now if you're really organized, you'll wait until you have two cards to print and you won't waste a half of sheet of paper.  (Unfortunately, I'm not always that organized and I figure I'll use the smaller pieces of cardstock for something else.)

So now you're ready to print.  You'll want to print on cardstock because if you print on regular copy paper you won't like the way the colors look.  Then, using a paper cutter, cut your "card" out and attach it to a cardbase. You can add some embellishments to your card, as I did.  I tied some gingham ribbon into two bows and glued one of each end of the banner. You can add as many embellishments as you'd like, or just stick with some bows. You don't have to add ANY embellishments if you don't want to.

Here's my finished card:



I used the high drop shadow effect to make the firewords look like they're popping right off the card.  I personally love using the high drop shadows on just about everything.  But that's just me.  I feel like it makes the card look so lively.  I especially like the way it makes the banners look.  Here's a side view of the card:



I think this is such a different way to make a card.  Especially since I waited until the last minute to realize I didn't have any patriotic paper and didn't really have time to run around looking for it, or waiting until an order was shipped to me.  As I said earlier, "hybrid" can be any combination of digital plus paper.  If you download or buy a digital stamp, for instance, and color it in and then use that image to create a paper card, you've created a hybrid card.

My challenge to you is to create a hybrid card.  If you don't have any digital images handy, here's a wonderful website called Free Vintage Digital Stamps with amazing FREE images just waiting to be downloaded.  Some of them are even already colored in.  All you need to do is download them, print them out, cut them out and attach them to your card.  I'm warning you, this website is highly addictive.  LOL

You can upload your hybrid cards to our Facebook Group Page.  We'd love to see what you come up with!!  See you next Monday!

1 comment:

  1. Cheryl, I think this card is amazing! And I never thought about the whole instant being able to create with new supplies aspect :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik