Monday, July 9, 2012

ATC Monday

Hi, it's Cheryl, and I have a question for you today.  What do you call a little work of art that's only 2 1/2 inches x 3 1/2 inches? 


It's an "Artist's Trading Card", better known as an ATC.  ATCs were originally created to be traded between artists and that's still pretty much what they're used for.  They have been elevated to quite an art form ~ with digital designers even creating digital "backgrounds" for them.  If you've never made one, my challenge to you is to get creative and see what you come up with!  They're lots of fun to make and a great way to use up all of that little "stuff" and odds and ends that you've been saving.  Here's the ATC that I created for my post today:




Do you want to know how I created this?  I thought you'd never ask.  LOL

The first thing I did was cut some 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" pieces of good old cardboard.  (I LOVE working with cardboard and save pieces of boxes.)  Here's what I started with:


The next thing I did was to "deconstruct" the cardboard:


Yep, I ripped that top layer right off!  Now it looks great!!  I use this plastic "tool" and slice right down each ridge then, rather unceremoniously just "pick" it off.  The next thing I did was ink the edges and the ridges:


I used Distress Ink, but the sky's the limit.  The next thing I did was get out some of my "stuff".  I keep all sorts of "stuff" and love to use it on ATCs.  For instance, I just finished a Design Team home decor project for the Crafter's Companion Blog and I had ONE little black rose left over.  Nice!  I'll use it on my ATC.  Love that!!


Then I got down to business.  I glued the lace onto the cardboard base first:


I have to interject right here that I LOVE to use opposite textures like these together!  I LOVE the look of that delicate lace against the tattered look of the cardboard.  Here is a close-up of the ATC:


Remember those black stamps?  I cut them apart and "tucked" them under the round embellishment.  Here's one more close-up:


Isn't that little bird sweet?  The bird and the lace are both from Webster's Pages.  Here's my finished ATC one more time:


If you'd like to try creating one, we'd LOVE to see it!  You can upload your ATC to our Facebook Group Page.  Your ATC must be 2 1/2 inches x 3 1/2 inches and it can be vertical or horizontal.  I prefer vertical, but that's just my preference.  You don't have to use cardboard.  You can use whatever you want to use for your ATC "base" as long as it's sturdy enough to attach your embellishments to.  A good heavy-weight cardstock works just fine.

I hope you have a creative week and I'll see you next Monday!

~ Cheryl ~

3 comments:

  1. Great step by step and ATC, Cheryl!
    I have never made one, but I think it would be fun to give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mary Jo! I hope you try making one. They're very addictive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you used the cardboard, looks so cool!

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik