Friday, July 6, 2012

Punches and Paper Piecing

Today I'm going to share a little home decor piece I made for my craft room.  My middle son and I share a very unpleasant trait...we're worriers.  Whenever my son starts worrying or stressing about something, I sing "Three Little Birds" by Bob Marley to him.  As an homage to "our" song, I put together this little piece:


I ended up using butterflies on my project because I had them on hand and they matched the paper I was using (it's "Fresh Goods" by Pebbles, an older line, but still one of my favorites).

This ended up being a really quick and easy project (my favorite kind!).  For most of the elements, I used punches that I already had on hand.  I used a Fiskars squeeze punch for the clouds:


I used a circle punch for the center of the sun, and then I cut out the rays freehand:

The grass was created by using a scallop border punch and then slightly bending back the curved edges:


To finish it up, I pulled out some OLD Making Memories Tiny Alphabet stickers and then outlined each word with a black journaling pen:


I then adhered the piece into a Fancy Pants "On Display frame (remember those?) that was in my storage cabinet.  Quick, easy, and it makes me happy.  I call this one a winner.  :)


Have you been crafting with punches lately?  If you haven't, pull out those punches!  I'd love to see your work!  You can upload your projects to our Facebook group (and if you're not already a member, I'll approve you - there's always room at the Nest!).

4 comments:

  1. That is one of my favorite songs, too!! Love how you incorporated it into this adorable home decor piece!! The tiny letters are SO sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that song! And I love your piece, Dawn!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww... You are so creative!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik