Monday, August 6, 2012

Easy Wall Art

Happy Monday!  This morning I'm going to share a Subway Art-inspired project I created for my son's bedroom.  This project is very simple and could easily be a project that you make with your children - mine preferred to supervise though.  ;)


I started with a frame that I picked up on clearance a couple years back.  It was originally intended as a graduation frame (though I think I threw away the mat that came with it...sorry 2010 graduates).  I liked the size (it's just under an 8 x 10) and the fact that it was thicker than most frames (almost, but not quite, a shadowbox).


Using the back of the frame as a guide, I cut a sheet of chipboard and patterned paper to fit.  I also inked the edges of the paper (it's very subtle though).


Next came the most time consuming part of the process.  I knew that I wanted to use some Thickers, but I wanted them to really pop, so I cut down foam squares and applied them to the back of the letters in my phrase.


Before adhering the Thickers to the patterned paper, I placed them down for a rough placement of where they should go.  I paid special attention to the word "courageous" because I knew that would be the first word I adhered.


Using a ruler as a guide, I adhered the letters, starting from the bottom.  This part was also a bit time-consuming, but something that could easily be done in front of the tv.


Once the bottom word was adhered, I eyeballed the space between the words and used the ruler as a top guide to keep the individual words straight.


And that's it!  Once it was done, I popped it in the frame, where it's waiting for my son's room to get painted.  (Because of the glass, it's hard to get a glare-free shot of this...it's brighter in person.)


And finally, here's a shot to show the dimension of the letters:


What are you making this Monday?  Any word art in the works?  I'd love to see your creations!  Simply post on our Facebook group (who knows...you may be featured on the blog in the future!).

2 comments:

 
Images by Freepik