Friday, September 14, 2012

Another Hybrid Friday

Hello and happy Friday!  Last week, I told you that I was going to have a little-mini series on hybrid scrapbooking, cardmaking and other projects.  I got a great comment on last week's post from Gale, who said the following:

"I love looking at hybrid projects! Other than journaling and printing some patterned papers, I haven't done much of it at all. I've been collecting tons of digital elements though, so I need to start. Love the layouts!"

This is exactly why I decided to do this series.  I think most of us "collect" freebies that we see when we're surfing the web.  We aren't sure if and when we'll ever use them, but we keep them anyway.  I did that for the longest time.  I saved and collected digital images that I just liked.    I love Gale's comment and I'm pretty sure there are lots more of you out there that do the same thing.


Today, I want to share a hybrid tag that I made.


I bought these little girls as part of a digital kit called  Sweet Spot Designs by Kay Eflin.  I absolutely fell in love with them because they reminded me of the cute paper dolls that we used to play with.

I've created a collage just so you can see how the original images looked.  


I only used two of the images on my tag.  I colored them in and cut them out and attached them to a tag that I already had decorated with Echo Park, Graceful, patterned paper, chipboard embellishments, flowers and buttons.  

Here are a couple of close-up photographs that I took to show the dimensions.  I put the little girls on with pop dots and also put some of the embellishments on pop dots.


Here's one more photograph:


One thing I'd like to add is that I always print my digital images out on fairly heavy weight cardstock if I'm going to be cutting then out (like I did here.)  I wanted these little girls to be sturdy enough to hold up on the top of the tag.  There have been a few times when I've printed the images out on plain colored patterned paper, but it's been very rare.  

Getting back to where I started, with a comment from Gale, keep collecting anything free that you see as you're surfing around on the internet.  NOTE:  Be sure that it's "given freely" - and that there's NO copyright seal on it.  Sometimes, they're given freely, but the artist would like to be given credit if you use it.  They often stipulate that it's "for personal use only".  I'm totally OK with that!  ALL you have to do (here's another tip) is when you "save" the file (the image) - just include WHO the artist is.  (For example: vintage boy in blue_mary jones).  I just made up a file name and artist/owner name, but you get the idea.  If you don't do that at the time you download, trust me ~ you'll NEVER remember where you got it or from whom.

When I'm "out and about" on the internet and find something that is ok to save (under the guidelines I've given you in the previous paragraph) I right click and "save as" then name the file and artist; then save it in my "Downloads" file.  Later on, I transfer it to whatever "picture file" I want to save it to.

I'd like to close by going back to Dawn's post on Monday about Crafty Deals.  One of the things she shared with you was a FREE digital kit from Persnickety Prints.  I get all of my digital layouts printed there and they have sent me a few free digital "appreciation kits".  I haven't used the one that Dawn showed you, yet, but here's a layout I created, using their Sun an Sea kit:


How cute is that for being FREE???  It's cute even if it wasn't FREE ~ but like I said last week, FREE is good!!!  This is my grandson, Asher, taking his very first boat ride on the 4th of July.  This kit was absolutely perfect for this picture and subject and this is a digital layout, not a hybrid one.  I even pulled the photograph into the layout, digitally.  

To get a free digital kit similar to this one, all you have to do is go to the Persnickety Prints Facebook Page, "like" them and you can get the free kit that's on their page.  (Again, it's not this kit, but it's just a cute ~ it has birds and owls on it!)

Come back next week and I'll try to de-mystify hybrid scrapping for you a little more.  I'm also going to share another favorite place to get free images, and show you some cards I've made, so you don't want to miss it!  Keep on collecting things and put them where you can find them.  I'm also going to be sharing with you how I keep my files "straight".  I have soooooooo many digital files and had to figure out a "system" that worked for me.  If you don't, you'll go crazy trying to find things when your digital files collection gets as huge as mine is.  But we'll work on that down the road.

Thanks for stopping by and I'll see you next Friday.   As always, if you have any comments or questions, leave them here or join us over at the Craft Your Nest Facebook Group Page.  I hope I've given you the incentive to try something hybrid and if you do, come on over and share it with us!

~ Cheryl ~









3 comments:

  1. I just think that tag is just adorable, Cheryl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. woohoo I'm famous!! lol. That tag is so cute and the layout looks amazing! It's always fun to get free stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the images of the little girls, I had dolls like that, too. Check out my blog, I've also made tags with some vintage images I got online. www.king-designs.blogspot.com Barb

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik