Monday, October 29, 2012

Some Purging Tips

Hi, Nesters!  It's Dawn here, with a quick post for this last Monday in October.  I'm going to share some tips for purging your stash (I've been in the midst of a huge purge lately!). But first, a little background...for the past couple weeks, my children and I have been fighting the yuck that seems to be going around.  We had to cut a mini-vacation short I got so sick (my husband knew it was bad when I was willing to forego a trip to IKEA to come home!).  No sooner did I get better than my boys came down with it, so we've been sniffling and sneezing all over the house!  Once I got better, I went into super-cleaning mode, and my craft room seems to have taken the brunt of my "tidying".

I have a ridiculous amount of scrapbook product, and it was at the point where I was forgetting what I had.  As soon as I started to clean, it seemed like I couldn't stop!  

I'm almost embarrassed to admit this, but I've currently got three 18-gallon storage tubs filled with purged product, and I'm working on a fourth.  Eek.  And I've still got most of my Expedit, all my alpha stickers, and three Cropper Hoppers of paper to go through.  Double eek!  (Remember, I did say it was a ridiculous amount of product.)

Here's a list of a few things I have learned as I've been cleaning out my space:

  1. If I haven't used that "must-have" product in the 5 years since I purchased it, the odds are against me using it in the future.
  2. Buying in bulk is over-rated; I will never use the 50-pack of sheer journaling spots I bought in 2008.  Note to self: in the future, share the large packs with friends.
  3. It is ok to break up kits!  I used to belong to several different kit clubs, and had dozens of kits still in their jumbo-sized ziplock bags.  I went through all the kits and pulled out what I knew I'd use and put the rest in my purge bin.
  4. I don't need 3 or 4 (or more!) sheets of the same paper.  No matter how pretty that paper may be.  Really.  For me, there is one exception to this rule: Scenic Route.  Darn it, no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't put any Scenic Route in the purge pile.  Don't judge me.  ;)
  5. Keep what you like.  What you REALLY like.  If you're feeling so-so about paper or ribbon or stickers or rub-ons (don't even get me started about the rub-ons!), get rid of it.  Don't keep product that you don't like.  Of course, the bigger question here may be why said product was purchased in the first place, but I digress...
  6. It's really fun to re-discover "lost gems".  I found paper from 5 years ago that I love (and totally forgot I had!).  Not to mention the kits and wood items that were sitting collecting dust - but are now on my to-do list for Christmas!
  7. I can pretty much guarantee that after going through your stash you'll be much more careful what you purchase in the future.  (Even when it's a great deal.)

And now, I need to head back in to my craft room for more cleaning.  :)

Have a great week Nesters!

4 comments :

  1. I just can't bare to purge any more than i already have. i gave a rubbermaid bin to a young relative who is just starting out ... I threw in something really old...remember the colluzle alphas and shapes? Yep, she got those and the cutting system as well. When you are 11 and have no alphas, they are great!
    The rest of my older paper I saved for cards to donate...but will I ever get them done? Hope so!!!
    Good for you for being ruthless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Coluzzle and circle templates actually made it through the purge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great purging tips Dawn! I must start this process myself. You've given me some things to keep in mind. Love the freebies too!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top