Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Modeling Paste Technique and Ideas!

Today we have guest blogger Michelle to share some great modeling paste techniques!

 Hi, CYN fans! Michelle here today sharing some techniques and ideas using
modeling paste which is one of my favorite ways to add texture to my projects!

Here are a couple facts about modeling paste:
You can find them in thick or light consistency.  But if you want a quick and fast project to complete,  then I would choose the thicker modeling paste because it doesn't move as much when you are creating with it.
For smaller areas I would use the lighter modeling paste because it's easier to remove and move around. Either one can be used though for various project using stencils and masks. 
The thicker may take longer to dry. Although, it is possible that it might take longer for the lighter to dry depending on what manufacturer or brand you used?
You can use a heat gun on low setting to speed up the drying time, however be careful because too much heat can crack the modeling paste design. I would not recommend using the heat gun on the lighter modeling paste. Most of the lighter pastes are not thick enough for a heat gun.

My suggestion would be to buy a small container of both to decide for yourself which one you prefer to use. If you tend to use a lot of the paste, it is better to go with a larger container because it is more cost effective. The smaller containers are cheaper in price, but they go much quicker. And before you know it, you have run out!

Here is a mini tutorial about how I used the light modeling paste to create
a Winter Theme LO!

Step 1- Supplies: paper, modeling paste, wipes or damp sponge or rag, painters tape, stencil or mask, and a craft knife. ( You can use a simple plastic knife or butter knife too!)

Step 2- First make sure you add any paint, misting or stamping to the background. You can still add misting and painting once your stenciling or mask has dried, however you do take the chance of some of that ending up on your modeling paste designs.

Tape off the area you do not want to apply paste to so that item will not appear on your paper. I used a metal stencil for this part of the Layout. As you can see in the picture I used green painters tape. You can try masking tape if you prefer. I have never tried it but it might work. After you apply the tape add your modeling paste.

Tip: if you do not want your design to have a rough look to it make sure the paste is even and smooth before you remove the stencil. Now you can remove the stencil and work on the rest of your LO or project!

Step 3 - I'm using a thin flexible plastic stencil for this part of the LO, so you can see how I added the pine needles to the upper right top of the layout. I angled the stencil as you can see in the photo. After the first one is dry I added another pine needle design below it. And a third one after the second had dried. Each time I added the needles I angled the stencil in the place I wanted the needle design to appear on the layout.

It is very important you move the stencil or mask around before you apply the modeling paste because if you add the paste to the wrong spot, you can remove the paste but a residue will be left. I have not tried this but you might be able to lightly wipe it with a damp rag or wipe and see if it you
can remove everything and then maybe use a heat gun to dry the area. Or after the mistake dries layer the stencil over the area where you have residue, and just keep creating. See if you can add a title, journal card or embellishment to cover the area if you can't layer over it or around it.



Step 4 - After your last mask or stenciling has dried, look at the layout or project, and see if you want to add any more to the project? If not then, you are ready to complete your project!

Step 5 - Finishing your project! Now it is time to add color to your masked or stenciled designs.  Once that is dry you can finish designing the rest of your layout or project.




I would also like to share a tag. I used modeling paste to add a sentiment! I used a thicker alphabet stencil for the sentiment since it is not as flexible. I bought the stencil at Walmart found in the school department.
For some of the thicker stencils, especially the alphabet ones, I cut them in half so it is easier to use the letters when creating sentiments and words.
I typically prefer using thinner stencils because they are easier to work with and are much more flexible when wanting to move a design around on your project!
because they are much more flexible with when you are wanting to move a
design around on your project!

I hope I have inspired you and that  you have enjoyed learning a few tips and techniques about
modeling paste.  If you have created any projects using modeling paste we would love to see them! You can share them here in the comment section or on our Facebook group page found here!

Have a wonderful day!





 

Hi, I am Michelle Hodges!

I live in South Texas.  My husband and I have a eight year old daughter.  I’m a SAHM and I help with various volunteer work at our daughters school.   When I’m not scrapping I enjoy spending time with family, being outdoors, Church activities, and traveling. 
 My scrapbooking style is shabby-chic, artsy, simple with clean lines and some vintage.  My style changes depending on what products I’m using and the kind of project I’m working on.  I feel I’m very versatile when I scrap because I enjoy creating, trying new techniques, and using new products with keeping up with the latest trends!
 I love to add stamping, embossing, misting, and adding paint to my projects.  When I’m not creating LO’s, tags, and cards I love to alter items, create Mixed Media projects, and I love to use my Cuttlebug!
Thank you Craft Your Nest for having me as your Guest Designer!

2 comments:

  1. What an awesome tutorial, Michelle!! I really learned a lot and I LOVE your layout and your tag!!

    Thanks for sharing this with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing, Michelle!
    I have never tried the modeling paste, and you have encouraged me that it is not something to be intimidated by :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik