Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Follow My Lead

Today I have something new to share with you - a sketch from me! I'm going to walk you through a layout I created using this sketch:



I have a bad habit of not measuring before I cut patterned paper, but here are the rough dimensions of the five papers I used:
  • tan background square: 11 in x 11 in
  • dark blue pennant: 4 in x 10 in
  • orange rectangle: 9.25 in x 7.25 in
  • red rectangle: 2 in x 7 in
  • turquoise rectangle (photo mat): 8.25 in x 6.25 in
I started out with my papers and two 4 in x 6 in photos:


I adhered the large square piece to my cardstock and then adhered the pennant on the right side of that square:


Next, I adhered the larger (orange) rectangle.  After border punching one of the long sides of the small (red) rectangle, I attached that to the left of the orange rectangle.


Then came the photo mat with my two photos.


Now, it's time for the fun stuff: embellishments!  I knew I wanted the right side of the page to have a larger cluster of embellishments, so I went to town with stickers, washi tape, chipboard, enamel dots, and cork.

The inside of the cork camera needed a little something, though.


I decided to try putting a heart in the center of the camera.  I grabbed this vellum arrow from a pile on my desk (you can see a bit of the chaos that is my work surface in this next picture) and I pulled out this triple heart punch that I've had for several years:


I ended up cutting out three hearts, and I used two of them.  I needed a piece of foam tape to pop up the hearts, and you can see how it shows through.  I added a second heart on top of the first using Tombow Mono glue in an attempt to hide the foam.


 And here is the final product:


Here's another shot of the embellishment cluster on the right:


And here's the left-hand side:


I hope you enjoyed this walk-through.  If you create a layout based on my sketch, please share it in our Facebook group or link in the comments.  I'd love to see what you create!

Also, if you enjoy sketches, please leave a comment.  I may introduce these as a regular feature here on the Nest.

4 comments:

  1. Super cute layout and sketch!
    And I love that heart punch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE your layout and your sketch!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great sketch and love your layout using it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice sketch and I like your take on it. I have a lot of park photos I am just torn on which papers will match all of the park stuff in the background.

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik