Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Follow My Lead

Today I have something new to share with you - a sketch from me! I'm going to walk you through a layout I created using this sketch:


I have a bad habit of not measuring before I cut patterned paper, but here are the rough dimensions of the five papers I used:
  • tan background square: 11 in x 11 in
  • dark blue pennant: 4 in x 10 in
  • orange rectangle: 9.25 in x 7.25 in
  • red rectangle: 2 in x 7 in
  • turquoise rectangle (photo mat): 8.25 in x 6.25 in
I started out with my papers and two 4 in x 6 in photos:


I adhered the large square piece to my cardstock and then adhered the pennant on the right side of that square:


Next, I adhered the larger (orange) rectangle.  After border punching one of the long sides of the small (red) rectangle, I attached that to the left of the orange rectangle.


Then came the photo mat with my two photos.


Now, it's time for the fun stuff: embellishments!  I knew I wanted the right side of the page to have a larger cluster of embellishments, so I went to town with stickers, washi tape, chipboard, enamel dots, and cork.

The inside of the cork camera needed a little something, though.


I decided to try putting a heart in the center of the camera.  I grabbed this vellum arrow from a pile on my desk (you can see a bit of the chaos that is my work surface in this next picture) and I pulled out this triple heart punch that I've had for several years:


I ended up cutting out three hearts, and I used two of them.  I needed a piece of foam tape to pop up the hearts, and you can see how it shows through.  I added a second heart on top of the first using Tombow Mono glue in an attempt to hide the foam.


 And here is the final product:


Here's another shot of the embellishment cluster on the right:


And here's the left-hand side:


I hope you enjoyed this walk-through. Also, if you enjoy sketches, please leave a comment.  I may introduce these as a regular feature here on the Nest.

4 comments :

  1. Super cute layout and sketch!
    And I love that heart punch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE your layout and your sketch!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great sketch and love your layout using it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice sketch and I like your take on it. I have a lot of park photos I am just torn on which papers will match all of the park stuff in the background.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top