Friday, May 3, 2013

Mother's Days is Right Around The Corner

Do you have several Mother's Day cards and projects to complete this year?  I know that there are lots of sweet "feminine" papers and embellishments out there, but what if you're running short of those "feminine" papers?  Or....................what if you just want to make something that's a little "different"?  

I love making "different" and "unexpected" cards.  Something besides the cards we've grown accustomed to for the various holidays.  For instance, here's a card that I made last year and it doesn't have ANY of the "traditional" colors that we normally associate with Mother's Day.  


Isn't this about the most "untraditional" Mother's Day card you've ever seen?  Yet, it "worked".  It looked just exactly like I envisioned it in my head.

I actually got that beautiful image from one of my favorite sites,  Free Vintage Digi Stamps.  If you go to the home page, you can search for just about anything you might be looking for.  I searched for "Mother's Day Images" and here are just two of the images that I loved.



I decided I liked the second image best (she also had it in black and white, but I knew the sepia would work best for my card.  All I did was print it out on cardstock and left a "seam" around the outside that I then distressed.  (See the image on the card.)

Of all things, I wanted to use tan and black newsprint patterned paper and I even inked that up a bit.  I printed the sentiments out on kraft cardstock and inked the edges a lot.  I added the pretty, frilly lace flower because I thought it added just the touch of softness that I wanted to add.  Plus, I love the way it looked with the "old" looking paper behind it.

Don't forget to check around for free digital images for any holiday ~ you'll be surprised what you'll find out there.  I always tell you this, but the reason I love using these images from Free Vintage Digi Stamps is that they are copyright free and you don't have to get anybody's permission to use them ~ ever ~ for any reason!!



I'll leave you with a traditional Mother's Day card that I made this week for a challenge at another site where I'm a DT member.


This patterned paper and all of the chipboard is Echo Park, Sweet Girl.  I added the little bakers twine bow to the butterfly and the round sentiment is from The Cutting Cafe.

Here are a couple of pictures showing all the dimension I was able to get with this cute chipboard.



I just love layering things!  

I hope I've given you a little inspiration if you're running behind on your cards.  I've shown you from one extreme to the other.  

Thanks for stopping by and have a wonderful weekend.

~ Cheryl ~

3 comments:

  1. What lovely cards! I love the color combinations you used on each of them!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Juliana!! Thanks for stopping by Craft Your Nest!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for your sweet comment on my DT intro post on Paper Issues! :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik