Thursday, April 17, 2014

Painting Easter Eggs

Hello Nesters!  Dawn here, with a fun Easter project that is also kid-friendly (a must in my house!).  I've mentioned before that we homeschool, and I'm often on the look-out for craft projects for my boys to complete for "art class".  Here is the result of this past week's class:


A few weeks back, I spotted a bag of paper-mache eggs at Hobby Lobby.  When I saw that they were on sale, I grabbed them for an Easter craft.  

For this project, we used Claudine Hellmuth's acrylic paint (which I think is no longer being produced, but any acrylic paint will work).  I also pulled out my paint brushes, disposable plates, and baby wipes (because my boys are nothing if not messy!).


I divvied up the eggs, and let the boys get to work.  My eldest is currently in a cast (he fractured his wrist), but he still got in on the action.  We put two coats of paint on each egg.


And here are the eggs after the paint:


Can you guess which eggs they left for Momma to paint?  For some reason, those boys didn't want to touch the pink paint.  :)  If you look closely at the above picture, you can see that the eggs aren't perfect.  There is a part of me that really wanted to go back and clean them up, but I also wanted the kids' work to show, so I left them as is.  (Someone please tell me I'm not the only mom who feels this way sometimes.)

Once the paint dried (we actually left it overnight), we went back and decorated the eggs.  Again, you can probably figure out which ones were mine.  My husband actually got in on the action and painted a couple of these (and he doesn't like to craft, so that's a big deal in our family!).  Overall, the project took less than 2 hours (including clean-up) spread over both days. If you're looking for an Easter project, this is a quick one that you could definitely complete before the weekend - and if I know Hobby Lobby, those eggs are still on sale!  




Our eggs are currently sitting on a table in our foyer.  I'll be honest, they make me smile every time I walk past.  


I feel like I need to apologize for my lack of posting lately.  The past couple months have been very rough on my little family, as my two eldest boys have been dealing with some unexpected health issues.  We think things are a bit settled now, and I'm really hoping to get back into my craft room.  

Well, that's all from me.  I hope you have a very wonderful Easter!

2 comments :

  1. These are absolutely adorable, Dawn!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those, Dawn!!!
    And I saw that at My Scraps and More.
    There are definitely some cute sketches there and I was thinking of trying one, too.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top